Thursday 19 January 2017

Tobermory 20 yo MBl and Ledaig 18 yo

Two malts from isle of Mull tonight. Born in the same family but different roads were chosen.

Tobermory 20 yo 1995/2015 cask #15 the Maltman 49.2%  - the label says it spent 20 years in a refill sherry cask. Let's see... 

Nose: on sherry and prunes. A bit disappointed with sulphur notes, but they fade away afer a while.

Taste: tad salty. 

Finish: long and spicy. 

Overall: mainly for Tobermory fans imho. If I put 85/100 score for this one I should acknowledge I'd buy another bottle when I stumble across it but I wouldn't. One time is ok for me. Sorry :) 

Score = 21 21 21 21, 84/100! 


Ledaig 18 yo 46.3% - "Small Batch Spanish Sherry Wood Finish" the label says. For marketing purposes I'd use SBSSWF abbreviation, that would look very promising :)

Nose: salty and smoky, but not that briny Islay peat, it's about coal and ashes smoke. Maybe some tobacco smoke as well. 

Taste: wood and rubber, totally industrial :) 

Finish: bitter and ashy.

Overall: also for Ledaig fan, though I like it a bit more. 

Score = 21 22 21 21, 85/100! 


No comments:

Post a Comment